The Department of Civil Registration is the Government Agency charged with the responsibility of implementing the compulsory registration of all births and deaths occurring in Kenya irrespective of nationality. It also provides for the optional registration of the births and deaths of Kenya citizens occurring outside the country.
The functions and operations of the department are mandated through an Act of Parliament, the Births and Deaths Registration Act (Cap 149), Laws of Kenya and the Presidential Circular No 1 of 2008 on the organization of Government. As outlined in the mandates the core functions of Civil Registration department are:
- Registration of births and deaths
- Preservation, security and custody of births and deaths records.
- Issuance of births and deaths certificates
- Processing of vital statistics – both natality (birth statistics) and mortality (death statistics)
- Re-registration upon legitimation and recognition
More information visit www.crd.go.ke